Here are 11 tips to help relieve stress and anxiety:
- Learn relaxation techniques– Practice deep breathing (slow and steady breathing) and/or meditate- you can reference videos on YouTube or try a Cummings Centre meditation or yoga class.
- Exercise- Do this regularly. Movement and activity promote blood flow, improves brain function, calms anxiety symptoms and much more. Choose from over 65 fitness classes, click here.
- Consider healthy distractions– like reading, funny shows on TV, games or puzzles – whatever helps you to relax.
- Try to eat healthy foods– this will support your body and your brain and help you cope with any issues you are facing.
- Journal– write down your feelings- let it all out on paper- then rip it up! By writing down your thoughts you provide your brain with an outlet for the stress.
- Sleep– Try to have adequate sleep at night- starting at a reasonable hour. Sleep helps your brain rest. Have you seen our Feel Better, Sleep Better series? This informative video along with others are available in our Virtual Learning Library, free for members.
- Listen to your body– Keep moving, join one of our walking clubs, do an exercise video– this will promote blood flow and help calm your brain. Rest if you are tired.
- Create some a work of art– Art allows you to express yourself in ways that are therapeutic, while also giving you an activity that serves as a distraction from your mind. And you will have something tangible to show for it! Choose from dozens painting, drawing, crafts and more!
- Become more organized– Make a to do list with realistic dates to get things done.
- Lessen your phone time & consider volunteering- Too much time on our phones and the apps on our phones prevents us from being in the moment. Volunteering and focusing on others are a proven way to reduce stress. Click here to see the many volunteer opportunities!
- Be kind to yourself– We are all doing the best we can and have coped with so much, from the pandemic on the global side, to our personal issues. Forgive yourself for those things that you simply cannot get deal with at the moment or what you couldn’t deal with in the past.
– Annette Oliel and Shelley Paris, Volunteers
The Cummings Centre’s mission is to empower and enhance the quality of life of adults age 50 and over by providing dynamic and innovative programs, social services, and volunteer opportunities in a vibrant, respectful, inclusive and compassionate environment. Building on its Jewish heritage, Cummings embraces people from all ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
As the hub of Montreal’s 50+ community, the Centre touches the lives of 10,000 people on an annual basis. In addition to its main campus at 5700 Westbury Avenue in Montreal, programs are offered at several off-site locations including the West Island, Cote Saint-Luc and online.
For more information, please contact us by phone at 514-343-3510, online at www.cummingscentre.org or in person at 5700 Westbury Avenue.